Saturday, December 15, 2012

Product Review: About Time Protein Powder

If you follow me on Twitter (@michelle_stacie) you would have seen the special delivery I was so excited about. I received my Vitacost order which contained these:


Protein powder may not sound so exciting but About Time has flavours which most Australian companies don't offer. I've already tried the Chocolate protein powder, of which I own a 1kg tub of, and I have incorporated it in several recipes on my blog already.

If you're still unsure about which flavour you think you'd enjoy, these Fill, Shake & Go bottles are perfect. At less than $3.00 each, you can test out several different flavours without committing to buying a 1kg tub of the one flavour.


About Time Protein Powder facts:

  • Serving size 35.1g
  • It suggests mixing with 180-280ml of either water, milk or fruit juice (yeah, I'm not so sure about the juice either).
  • Every flavour contains only four ingredients - Whey Protein Isolate, Natural Flavours, Xanthan Gum and Stevia.
  • Fat, carb and sugar free.


Nutritional info - 

125 calories
31g protein
No fat
No carbs
No sugar


Banana - The smell is artificial like lolly bananas, however it doesn't have the same sickly sweet taste. The stevia adds the right amount of sweetness and even mixing with only water, it's a nice, satisfying protein shake.

Birthday Cake - It's difficult to exactly pin point what this flavour tastes like. It vaguely reminds me of those Tick-Tick or Hundreds and Thousands cookies. While this flavour is beyond delicious, I'm not sure whether I could drink this flavour day in and day out because my brain associates it with decadent sweets.

Chocolate Peanut Butter - This tastes just like a peanut butter cup, rich and creamy without all that fat and sugar. 

Cinnamon Swirl - I think this could do with a touch more cinnamon, however the subtle flavour is still quite pleasant and doesn't make me feel as though I'm drinking a protein shake.

Mocha Mint - The name says it all. Think of a Mint Slice biscuit melted down and you've got yourself this Mocha Mint protein powder.

Peaches & Cream - This is such a nice flavour for Summer and reminds me of frozen yogurt.

Peanut Butter - While I am a lover of peanut butter, drinking a peanut butter shake isn't my cup of tea. I find I prefer the chocolate peanut butter powder instead.

Strawberry - There's no doubting that this is a strawberry protein powder. It tastes like just like Strawberry Vitarium, but has a huge protein kick.

Vanilla - Some vanilla protein powders can leave a strange, bitter after-taste  however this tastes like an expensive brand of ice cream.




The next time I need to order protein powder, I'm most definitely buying myself the 1kg tubs of Mocha Mint and Strawberry.


These Fill, Shake & Go bottles can be found online at Vitacost. Click this link to save $10 on your first order over $30.

4 comments:

  1. You're from Australia and this got through customs? Maybe I will have luck importing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have ordered it quite a few times, the single serve and the large tubs without any hassles. iHerb won't even let you add it to your basket, but try Vitacost!

      It's cheaper at Vitacost anyway. If it's your first Vitacost order you can save $10 (essentially free shipping) by clicking here - https://www.vitacostrewards.com/eBznMI0

      I've even been able to order chia and hemp seeds from Vitacost, whilst iHerb won't allow it.

      Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Thanks - I used your code. Fingers crossed! :)

      - Mandy

      Delete
    3. You're welcome! Don't stress, I'm sure you won't have any issues with it. As far as I'm concerned it's only whey protein and stevia so customs will clear it, no questions asked :)

      Delete