Monday, January 7, 2013

Monday Munchies: Mexican Tomato Soup

Welcome to Monday Munchies where every Monday I'll be sharing a new recipe with you.


You read it correctly. Today's recipe is indeed for Mexican Tomato Soup. Yes, I'm one of those weird people who will eat soup in the middle of the Aussie Summer.

I've adapted this recipe from one I saw on an episode Jamie Oliver's 15 Minute Meals (aired Tuesday January 1, 2013) Season 1, Episode 28 can be viewed here. I didn't want to wait months for the cooler weather to hit. I wanted soup and I wanted it now.


Ingredients - 

1 Bunch of Spring onions
1 Bunch of Coriander
4 tsp Crushed garlic
3 Green Chillies
450g Roasted Red Capsicum (I charred and peeled my own to avoid all that excess oil)
800g Tinned Tomatoes
80g Lundberg Wild Rice
1.2L of water

Salt
Pepper
Lime Juice



Directions - 

  1. Coarsely chop the spring onions, coriander, chillies and red capsicum. It doesn't need to be perfect or evenly chopped as the soup will be blended once it is cooked.
  2. Throw these ingredients in to a hot pan with the crushed garlic and cook until softened. 
  3. Add the tinned tomatoes, continuing to stir for 5 minutes.
  4. Pour in 1L of water, the rice and as much lime juice, salt and pepper as you prefer.
  5. Simmer the soup on a low/medium heat until the rice is almost cooked. 
  6. For a less thick soup, add another cup of water and turn the heat off.
  7. Allow the soup to cool before blending in food processor until all the lumps are removed.

Makes 7 generous serves








Nutritional info - 


108 calories
3.3g protein
1g fat
18.6g carbs
3g sugar
6.6g fibre



While I'll probably be complaining about how hot it is outside, I'll still be enjoying this soup everyday for lunch this coming week.


Head on over to CandyFit.net every Friday for new recipes and to share your own healthy creations.



4 comments:

  1. Oh....nothing like tomato soup! Something I seldom make but should get into!

    Thanks for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very tasty! Will have to try this.I used to make a sort of similar roasted capsicum and tomato soup with gremolata on top (no oil or crap in it).I'm liking the Mexican theme to this soup - Mexicans are known for their awesome food (and equally awesome wrestling.....but that's not really relevant to this blog).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It really is delicious, but most of the credit goes to Jamie.
      I had the most amazing meal when I visited Tijuana. I can't wait to go back and eat real Mexican food.

      And I agree with you about the wrestling (closeted wrestling fan here).

      Delete
    2. I'm sure the kind of food you had there was completely different to what they serve at Mad Mex! Authentic Mexican food would trump what we have here.That being said,Pork Burrito Sunday goes down very well in my house....my brother and his girlfriend would go on a murderous rampage if they didn't get their burritos.
      And come out of the spandex-lined closet! Long time wrestling fan here and not ashamed to admit it.

      Delete