Welcome to Monday Munchies where every Monday I'll be sharing a new recipe with you.
You read it correctly. Today's recipe is indeed for Mexican Tomato Soup. Yes, I'm one of those weird people who will eat soup in the middle of the Aussie Summer.
I've adapted this recipe from one I saw on an episode Jamie Oliver's 15 Minute Meals (aired Tuesday January 1, 2013) Season 1, Episode 28 can be viewed here. I didn't want to wait months for the cooler weather to hit. I wanted soup and I wanted it now.
1 Bunch of Spring onions
1 Bunch of Coriander
4 tsp Crushed garlic
3 Green Chillies
450g Roasted Red Capsicum (I charred and peeled my own to avoid all that excess oil)
800g Tinned Tomatoes
80g Lundberg Wild Rice
1.2L of water
- Coarsely chop the spring onions, coriander, chillies and red capsicum. It doesn't need to be perfect or evenly chopped as the soup will be blended once it is cooked.
- Throw these ingredients in to a hot pan with the crushed garlic and cook until softened.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, continuing to stir for 5 minutes.
- Pour in 1L of water, the rice and as much lime juice, salt and pepper as you prefer.
- Simmer the soup on a low/medium heat until the rice is almost cooked.
- For a less thick soup, add another cup of water and turn the heat off.
- Allow the soup to cool before blending in food processor until all the lumps are removed.
Makes 7 generous serves
Nutritional info -
While I'll probably be complaining about how hot it is outside, I'll still be enjoying this soup everyday for lunch this coming week.
Head on over to CandyFit.net every Friday for new recipes and to share your own healthy creations.