Saturday, April 13, 2013

My Tattoos: Year of the Dragon


ImageNow that I'm combining my two blogs, I thought I would take the time to show you some of my tattoos. What better place to start than with my first tattoo.


Tattoo - Dragon

Body part - Lower back
Tattoo Artist - Robyn
Tattoo Shop - Beautiful Body Art
Location - Narre Warren, Victoria
Date - September 2005



I was only 17 at the time of getting my first tattoo. I was studying Media in VCE and our final assessment was to create a magazine, write and shoot a short film or photograph and edit a series of images. Being an aspiring journalist I chose to create my own magazine. I originally wanted to make a wrestling magazine, but due to copyright restrictions I couldn’t use any photos that I hadn’t personally taken.

Around the same time I had discovered Miami Ink and I was hooked. Always being one to appreciate art, I was blown away by the talent of Chris Garver and what he could do with a needle and ink. It may be embarrassing to say, but it was this ‘reality’ show that began my love and need for tattoos.

I was then set on creating my own tattoo and body piercing magazine for my assessment. However I ran into problems early on. I already had quite a few body piercings, and went to school with others who were also pierced, but I didn’t know of many people who had tattoos. And so began my mission to convince my parents to let me get tattooed, all in the name of education.

In my father’s typical fashion, his response to me getting a tattoo was “no”. Luckily my mother was a little more open-minded. After a little persuading she finally agreed to take me to get my first tattoo. She picked me up from school that day at recess, I skipped my English class (where no one noticed I was missing. I swear I’m invisible) and she dropped me back at school just before my last class of the day.

During the whole tattooing process I had my mother take photos for me which I then included in my magazine. I won the Year 12 Media Award that year and I like to think it’s all because of my dragon tattoo.

You may be asking why I chose a dragon. Dragons are symbolic for me as I was born in 1988 – The Year of the Dragon.

In the Chinese Zodiac dragon’s symbolise strength, health, harmony, and intellectuality.
Dragons symbolize such character traits as dominance and ambition. Most dragons prefer to live by their own rules and if left on their own, are usually successful. They are driven, unafraid of challenges, and willing to take risks. They are passionate in all they do and they do things in grand fashion. Unfortunately, this passion and enthusiasm can leave Dragons feeling exhausted and interestingly, unfulfilled.
In Eastern philosophy, the Dragon is said to be a deliverer of good fortune and a master of authority. Therefore, those people born in the year of the Dragon have a sense of honor, respect, audacity, and loyalty.

Dragon people are also well-known for their honesty and sense of duty. These characteristics can sometime work against them, because others will tend to take advantage of them.
Most Dragon people are compassionate, patient, and ambitious people, thus they make trustworthy friends, great companions, and strong, gifted leaders.
As it was my first tattoo I wanted it to have significant meaning to me. The characteristics of a Dragon describes me perfectly.

The placement of my tattoo was somewhat dictated by my mother, however at the time I too wanted something that I could hide if need be. It was 2005 and lower back tattoos were (and still are) popular with females.

I’m glad I did get something discreet as now that I’ve matured, it’s not necessarily the style I would go for. Perhaps I’ll get a more intricate and detailed dragon elsewhere on my body. It’s still a representation of who I am and I most definitely don’t regret getting it done.

I remember my mother telling me after that one tattoo was enough, but clearly that didn’t happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment