Sunday, January 5, 2014

Walnut Brittle

Coconut sugar is something which I never knew existed until I was introduced to it by some vegans on Youtube. Coconut sugar is derived from the natural sap in the coconut plant. It is lower GI than conventional sugar and contains (in small amounts) Iron, Zinc, Calcium and Potassium.

While natural sugars from fruits is what I tend to stick with, coconut sugar is something I've been experimenting with where stevia (Natvia or Norbu) hasn't been appropriate. As the coconut sugar mostly resembles that of golden syrup, it adds that depth of flavour that cannot be matched by that of stevia or rice malt syrup.

On a whim, I recently bought some walnuts as I don't believe I had ever eaten one in my life. I must say I wasn't all that impressed, they seemed to lack any sort of taste. So, not wanting to be wasteful, I put them to good use in this recipe where their crunch is encased with the wonderfully sweet and hardened coconut sugar. 



 Ingredients

1/2 Cup of Coconut Sugar
1 Tbsp Water
30g Unsalted Walnuts


Directions

Roughly chop the walnuts into approximately 1cm pieces. 
Line a tray with baking paper and sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top.
In a saucepan bring the water and coconut sugar to a boil
Reduce to a medium-low heat and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the sugar over the chopped walnuts.
Spread the coconut sugar mixture to 2-3mm thick, ensuring all the nuts are coated/surrounded.
Place the tray in the freezer for 45 minutes to an hour.
The walnut brittle should be solid and break easily by hand.
Break the brittle into bite-sized pieces and serve. 
Keep any leftover walnut brittle refrigerated. 

Makes 6 serves




Macros per serve

72 calories
1g protein
3.3g fat
10g carbs
10g sugar
0.3g fibr

e

No comments:

Post a Comment