Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Raw Vegan Apple Crumble [Low Fat & Gluten Free]


I am addicted to the recipe videos from Tarah at 40 Below Fruity. Today I wanted to share with you, her raw vegan version of apple crumble. As a strict low fat raw vegan, Tarah's recipe features none of the usual crumble ingredients of nuts, eggs and milk, but after just one mouthful of this, you won't even miss them. 

I have made quite a few adjustments to Tarah's recipe to suit my tastes and the amount of serves required. View the original recipe video here 

I absolutely despise dried mulberries. I had heard such great things about them all over the Internet, however after purchasing some (and they're not cheap either) all I was left with was a feeling of disappointment. Rather than being wasteful and throwing them away, I paired them with my newest obsession - inca (golden) berries

This is quite tart with the granny smiths, lemon juice and inca berries which is just how I like it. Try this with different varieties of apples to change the texture and the sweetness.


Ingredients

Filling
2  Granny Smith Apples (peeled and thinly sliced)
Lemon Juice

Sauce
4 Medjool Dates (preferably fresh)
Water
Cinnamon

Crumble
1/3 Cup of Mulberries & Inca Berries (roughly 18g of each)
1 Medjool Date
1/2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
Cinnamon


Directions

Squeeze the lemon juice over your apple slices to prevent oxidisation


Blend the dates, water and cinnamon into a paste



Combine the apples and date paste until completely covered
Transfer the filling to your serving dish
Pulse the crumble ingredients in the blender for a few seconds
Sprinkle the crumble on top of the filling and enjoy

Makes 2 serves




Macros per serve

230 calories
3g protein
0.5g fat
61g carbs
47g sugar
8g fibre



No comments:

Post a Comment