Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Trying Something New #1

If you're like me, it's so easy to get into a rut when it comes to food. Once I find something I like, I stick with it. That being said, I do consume quite the variety of fruits and vegetables, just not some of the more non-traditional varieties. 

While I worked in a supermarket for over five years, I noticed the occasional unsual foods (particularly fruits and vegetables) that the store received, but I never actually bothered to purchase them.

Recently I decided to change things up and step out of my comfort zone. I went to the supermarket and selected several pieces of produce to try for the first time. 

If you like this format of review, I may make this a regular blog post. Leave your thoughts down below. 


What we have here are a few red ball chillies , a feijoa, guava and a nashi pear.


I think the only time I've ever had guava is in a Vodka Cruiser (yes, long ago I used to drink that lolly water). Absolutely nothing does a fresh guava justice. Guavas are meant to be eaten once relatively soft, and they can be either white or pink on the inside. 

Its beautiful pink flesh is smooth and creamy, similar to that of rockmelon. The scent it gives off instantly takes you to a tropical paradise. The only way I can compare it to anything is that a guava is almost like a fleshy, less tart version of a passion fruit (another of my all-time favourite fruits).

If they weren't $10 + per kilogram, I'd be stocking my fridge full of guava.

Try my Dairy Free Tropical Smoothie which uses the guava. 


The feijoa was rather disappointing. Cutting it open, the feijoa resembled an avocado. The scent reminded me of a mixture of kiwi fruit and flowers. The flesh had a kiwi/melon texture which I didn't mind, but the flavour of the fruit wasn't at all appealing to my taste buds. The flesh itself tasted more  floral than it did sweet or fruity.

When it comes to fruit, I like them to be sweet - the sweeter the better, actually. Feijoa's are something to cross off my list of things to try, but I doubt I will ever purchase one again. 



Check back next week for my thoughts on the red ball chillies and the nashi pear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment