Friday, March 13, 2015

Homemade Sugar-Free Cranberry Juice

I'm slowly making progress on the new websites, and although I seem to keep adding more vegan website ideas to my list, they should all launch before the mid-point of 2015. Sometimes I create a recipe so good that I simply cannot wait to share it with you guys - this is one of those recipes that can't wait for the new websites.

Frozen cranberries have only recently made their way onto supermarket shelves in Australia and I couldn't be more excited. Dried cranberries are usually sweetened with sugar, some with apple juice, to counteract their tartness, but it's their tart flavour which I like best. 

While I call this a juice, it is more of a 'fruit drink' like what you buy in supermarkets. Cranberry juice alone would likely be too tart for anyone to handle which is why it's diluted with water. The difference with my version is the use of a sugar-free sweetener and there's no added flavours, vitamins or preservatives. 

I'm probably not the first, or the last, person to think of this, but what's most important is how good this stuff is and how much better it is for you compared to the store-bought stuff. Now, let's get to the recipe!




Ingredients

1.5L Water
175g Frozen Unsweetened Cranberries 
4-6 tsp Natvia (Granular Stevia)



Directions

Soak the frozen cranberries in the water to defrost
Stir in the Natvia and allow it to dissolve
Using a high-speed blender (like a Froothie), blend all the ingredients for 30-45 seconds
Pour the juice through a fine mesh sieve - you may want to do this a few times to remove all of the cranberry pulp/fibre
Taste the cranberry juice and add more Natvia if needed
Store in the fridge for up to five days

Makes 1.5L


Cost

Roughly 1/3 of the price of store-bought



2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that there are frozen cranberries available in the market now! I always curious how it taste. Would love to give this a try =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find them at Coles. They're so good. Very tart but I love tart fruits like raspberries and Granny Smith apples.

      If you try making the juice, let me know if you like it!

      Delete